Limmud is ...
- an international organisation based in the UK
- the greatest opportunity in the Jewish community
- exciting and innovative
- powered by learning
- organised almost entirely by hundreds of volunteers
- a model and an inspiration for over 50 Limmud groups across the world – from Bulgaria to Brazil, from Cape Town to California, from Modiin to Moscow, from New Zealand to New York.
Limmud has …
- pioneered and evolved a unique model of cross-communal Jewish learning
- involved thousands of people in hundreds of events over its 30 year history
Limmud aims to …
- enable every participant to take one step further on his or her Jewish journey
- make accessible some of the world's most dynamic Jewish educators, performers and teachers, working in a variety of educational styles – lectures, workshops, text-study sessions, film, meditation, discussions, exhibits and performance
- ensure that there is always something for everyone, no matter what their level of Jewish knowledge or commitment to Jewish life
Limmud events …
- our flagship is Limmud Conference, held over five days in December at the University of Warwick
- inspired by the summer festival scene, Fest is an outdoor festival held over the August bank holiday weekend, with the emphasis on music, performance and informal learning
- around the UK, local teams plan and run Limmud events; there are regional Limmud communities in Bournemouth, Brighton, Cambridge, Essex, Hackney, Harrow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, South London, South East London, Scotland and the Thames Valley
- supported by Limmud International there are now more than 40 Limmud communities running events across the world
We publish too …
- Limmud On One Leg – regular weekly emails full of commentary and opinion on the week’s Torah portion, written by Limmud participants, including many renowned scholars
- the Chavruta Programme – every year at Conference we run a text study programme in traditional Jewish style – chavruta – consisting of pairs of learners discussing Torah and working from a specially prepared collection of sources and commentary – the chavruta book. The book – a useful and thoughtful publication in itself – is available for you to buy.
- Limmud Shabbat book – produced originally as an accompaniment to Shabbat Limmud (the Shabbat of Conference week), the publication is an eclectic and impressive collection of poetry, commentary and song that will grace any Shabbat table.
- Podcasts of Limmud events are available for download.Hear a selection of presenters from recent Limmud events
- Webstreamed sessions online - you can see some sessions from recent Limmud events online.