- A UK charity.
- Powered by learning.
- Exciting and innovative.
- Driven by its values, including diversity, choice and volunteerism.
- Organised almost entirely by thousands of volunteers.
- A model and an inspiration for over 80 Limmud communities across the world – from Bogota to Beijing, from Jerusalem to Johannesburg, from Moscow to Mar del Plata, from New Zealand to New York.
- Pioneered and evolved a unique model of cross-communal Jewish learning.
- Involved thousands of people in hundreds of events over its 41 year history.
Limmud aims to…
- Enable every participant to take one step further on their Jewish journey.
- Ensure that there is always something for everyone, no matter what their level of Jewish knowledge or commitment to Jewish life.
- Make some of the world’s most dynamic Jewish educators, performers and teachers accessible to all. Participants at Limmud events learn though engaging in a variety of ways – lectures, workshops, text-study, film, meditation, discussions, exhibits and performances.
Our events include…
- Limmud Festival – our flagship residential event, held at the end of December.
- UK Communities regional events – day or evening events planned by local Limmud teams. There are regional Limmud communities in Birmingham and the West Midlands, Bristol and the South West, Cambridge, Harrow, Hull, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and the Thames Valley.
Our resources are…
- Limmud On One Leg – regular weekly emails full of commentary and opinion on the week’s Torah portion, written by Limmud participants, including many renowned scholars.
- The Chavruta Programme – every year at Festival we run a text study programme in traditional Jewish style – chavruta – consisting of pairs of learners discussing Torah and working from a specially prepared collection of sources and commentary – the chavruta book. The book – a useful and thoughtful publication in itself – is available for you to buy.
- Limmud Shabbat book is an eclectic and impressive collection of poetry, commentary and song that will grace any Shabbat table.
- ‘It Says What?!’ Series: JW3 and Limmud partner to bring you unexpected and poignant Jewish wisdom. In a series of 30-minute videos, educators from across the community share some of their favourite pieces of Jewish wisdom.